A security guard on duty at the facility died and four others were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning after a hurricane knocked out power in the plant for 3 hours. Without power, the exhaust fans over the smelting furnaces did not force carbon monoxide generated from the furnaces out of the building. The work area filled with poisonous gas and killed the guard. PGP failed to have an emergency backup power source for its fans to operate.
State's Artorney John Connelly
Incident Type: Chemical Exposure
County: New Haven
Date: Sept. 27, 1985
Folder for PGP Industries materials
OSHA inspection detail
Available Case Materials Include:
Media Clips & Gov't. Press
Contact for Additional Information:
|PGP Industries Inc.
||Case dismissed before jury was allowed to return a verdict.
Penal Crimes: Criminally Negligent Homicide
Other Crimes: Unavailable